Take a Virtual Tour

The Chetco Valley Historical Society Museum is housed in the historic Blake House, built in 1857, and is listed as the oldest dwelling in the Chetco Valley. The Blake House was once a stagecoach stop and trading post built on a hill overlooking the Chetco Valley and Pacific Ocean.

The property on which it stands was originally a land grant to early pioneer Robert Johnson, who sold it to Harrison Blake in 1867. Blake and his wife, Mary (Geisel) operated a trading post and way station there.

Blake was Curry County’s first deputy sheriff in 1864 and the first representative from the area to the state legislature in 1874.

He and Mary lived on the property until Blake’s death in 1896. Mary sold the ranch to the Pedrioli Brothers in 1916 and lived elsewhere until her death in 1933.

The Stanley Colgrove family purchased the ranch in 1953 and donated the old house, built before Abraham Lincoln was president, and the surrounding grounds to the Chetco Valley Historical Society.

         

 

Which room do you want to visit next?

The Picture Room
The Sewing Room
The Bedroom
The Dinning Room and Kitchen
The Parlor
The Hallway